Sunday, September 19, 2010

Undertaking

My sister is developmentally disabled.
This has been a prominent factor throughout my life. My family didn't like to discuss it, but its there, like an elephant in the room. Our world is both cruel and beautiful. I understand the preference to pretend its not true. The truth however, cannot stay hidden for long.
My sister got married and went out on her own. Her husband also developmentally disabled. What we hoped and prayed would be two simple people helping each other make their way in the world turned out to be a toxic event. The rapid decline that my family saw my sister take has been difficult.
Its now five years later, they are divorcing (which is for the best) and I'm taking on the task of getting my sister the assistance she needs. We aren't going to brush her condition under the carpet anymore. We are going to face it head on and get the help she needs. This is quite the undertaking, and I hope that we achieve the desired outcome. I'm doing my best to stay positive, but at times I waiver and wonder if we will be met with resistance and closed doors. All I can do is remain persistent and hope that finally I will be able to get her the help she needs and set her on a path that will help enrich her life. Perhaps I can also suppress the guilt that has been inside me, knowing that she can't do all that she is "supposed" to do as well as take the burden off my mom. I hope this is all leading up to a chain of events that will provide peace to my family.
For now, I need a little luck on my side and a lot of persistence.

No comments:

Post a Comment