Saturday, July 3, 2010

Books...

Book Recommendation

The Friday Night Knitting Club
By Kate Jacobs

I read The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs as a recommendation from my mother-in-law. She had previously read a book I had really loved and recommended to her and it was so much fun discussing it with her. I thought that even though this book didn't seem to appeal to me, I wanted to read it so that in the very least I would get to have a lively and enjoyable discussion over literature with my mother-in-law.
To my surprise, I found The Friday Night Knitting Club to be a lovely and heartfelt novel. The story of a hardworking and talented woman , Georgia Walker, who as a single mom and is determined to make a full and wonderful life for herself and her daughter doing something she loves - knitting. Georgia opens a shop in New York where knitters can purchase supplies or can order custom pieces. The shop becomes a meeting place for women of all different backgrounds and circumstances who want to knit from those who are novice knitters to old pros. Of course the point of the meetings are for the more experiences knitters to help the newbies out, but really the women come to bond and support each other.
The book is a tale of broken hearts, love, and redemption. Georgia Walker is a strong character, a women of so much strength and gumption you would want her for your own friend. The rest of the cast are all strong and likable in their own right as well. A genuinely good read from start to finish.
I'm glad I took my mother-in-laws recommendation, because as is highlighted in this book and true in my own life, there is a beauty in listening and bonding with women of all ages and backgrounds. What we learn from others helps to make us whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment